Monday, March 23, 2015

Fix You - Coldplay




Autumn! I have been thinking quite a lot about a song called Fix You by Coldplay. It's a little hard to describe, but I think I can try. The beginning has this sadness about it, and you can feel the desperation that has settled in after so much bad has happened. Just read these lyrics and you'll see what I mean:

"When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse."

But! Sadness is not the only emotion felt in this song. It also has hope. Look at this:

"Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you."

Coldplay included both desperation and hope which is crucially important, and I will explain why. But know what I'm about to say is an opinion, so it is liable to be incorrect. That aside, I believe it is important to include both desperation and sadness because it first takes you lower, so you can then be lifted up later in the song and experience true happiness. The song is much more real that way. Think about it. Life isn't all flowers and sunshine, or on the other hand a lightless existence, and a song that is completely sad or happy cannot be an accurate representation of reality. I'm not saying they are bad, lack healing power, or have no relatability - but I am saying they never feel in my mind, like the life I am living now. Autumn, what I want you to take from this song is that life has many different sides to it - light and darkness being examples of sides apparent in reality. Because they all exist together, one should learn to appreciate them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment